[mvapich-discuss] viacheck.c error

Christian Guggenberger christian.guggenberger at rzg.mpg.de
Fri Apr 20 07:57:44 EDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 02:58:00PM -0400, Sayantan Sur wrote:
> Hello Alicia,
>
> Thanks for reporting the error. As you said, the error appears after
> calling "system" from within an MPI program. The "system" call involves
> an internal call to fork(). As of OFED-1.1, fork() is *not* supported by
> the underlying InfiniBand libraries. I believe OFED-1.2 will support fork().

FYI, from the OFED-1.1 release notes:

"2. Fork support from kernel 2.6.12 and above is available provided
that applications do not use threads. The fork() is supported as long
as parent process does not run before child exits or calls exec().
The former can be achieved by calling wait(childpid) the later
can be achieved by application specific means.  Posix system() call
is supported."

cheers.
 - Christian