[mvapich-discuss] Parameters for build

Mark Potts potts at hpcapplications.com
Tue Apr 17 12:01:25 EDT 2007

Hi,
    First timer questions.

    I'm building MVAPICH UDAPL primarily for x86_64 SLES infiniband
    clusters but with a temporary need to support an ia64 cluster for
    a while and have a few questions based on what I read in the
    MVAPICH 0.9.9 Users Guide and see in the build scripts.

    (1) What are the rough limits for cluster sizes in the build script
        prompt for "small", "medium", and "large" and does choosing the
        inappropriate size have major or minor consequences in
        performance or does one hit limits in the app being able to
        work at all?

    (2) For what reason would one choose to _not_ define the -D_SMP_
        and -D_SMP_RNDV_ CFLAG parameters in the build?

    (3) Are there performance or other issues associated with
        the --enable-sharedlib and --enable-debug parameters in the
        configure, i.e. why are these not set as default options in
        the build?

    Thanks.
           regards,
--