[mvapich-discuss] mpdtrace issue...

Christian Guggenberger christian.guggenberger at rzg.mpg.de
Mon Aug 28 16:59:55 EDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 04:21:54PM -0400, Choudhury, Durga wrote:
> Hi Sayantan
>
> In the context we talked about a few days earlier, there are two things
> I'd like to bring to your attention:
>
> 1. The mpdtrace issue still remains, even if the hostname seems to be an
> RFC compliant, legitimate name:
>
> For example:
>
> Bash: hostname <on host 1>
> xmc2.5

Isn't that still invalid ?
Quoting RFC-952

"1. A "name" (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up
to 24 characters drawn from the alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus
sign (-), and period (.).  Note that periods are only allowed when
they serve to delimit components of "domain style names". (See
RFC-921, "Domain Name System Implementation Schedule", for
background)"

cheers.
 - Christian