[mvapich-discuss] MVAPICH-0.9.3 Infiniband 3000

Sayantan Sur surs at cse.ohio-state.edu
Fri Aug 25 15:41:27 EDT 2006

Hi Amit,

>Thank you for your feedback. I was using gen2 make while I had vapi library
>installed. I got it to work for the default ch3:sock
>
>Now I want to understand a bit more about the mrail channel. I suppose it
>has to do with "Multi Threaded".
>Can you point me to some reference so that I can make a decsion on what
>Interface(ch3/osu_ch3) and corresponding channels will be the best suite
>for our environment.

If you want to take full advantage of MVAPICH2 package over native
InfiniBand verbs, you are encouraged to use osu_ch3:mrail.

ch3:sock will work over the sockets interface, not native InfiniBand,
thus it may not give as good performance on InfiniBand enabled nodes.

Typically, users of MVAPICH2 do not have to think through all these
issues. You can just download the package and run
make.mvapich2.{gen2,vapi}, based on what underlying IB libraries you
have installed.

>Is there any performacen difference between using ch3/osu_ch3 interface? Or
>does ch3 lack something and osu_ch3 complements it ?
>
>Trying to understand: osu_ch3 interface has only one channle that is mrail
>? is this true ?

You can take a look at some of the research papers from our group
regarding these issues.

http://nowlab.cse.ohio-state.edu/projects/mpi-iba/publication.html

Thanks,
Sayantan.