[mvapich-discuss] MVAPICH-0.9.3 Infiniband 3000

Amit H Kumar AHKumar at odu.edu
Fri Aug 25 11:48:22 EDT 2006

Hi Sayantan,

Thank you for your feedback. I was using gen2 make while I had vapi library
installed. I got it to work for the default ch3:sock

Now I want to understand a bit more about the mrail channel. I suppose it
has to do with "Multi Threaded".
Can you point me to some reference so that I can make a decsion on what
Interface(ch3/osu_ch3) and corresponding channels will be the best suite
for our environment.

Is there any performacen difference between using ch3/osu_ch3 interface? Or
does ch3 lack something and osu_ch3 complements it ?

Trying to understand: osu_ch3 interface has only one channle that is mrail
? is this true ?

Thank  you.
Amit

mvapich-discuss-bounces at cse.ohio-state.edu wrote on 08/24/2006 12:12:03 PM:

> Amit H Kumar wrote:
>

> >>Hello Amith,
> >>
> >>Thanks for trying out MVAPICH2-0.9.3. Could you please verify the
> >>following things for us:
> >>
> >>1. Are you using OpenIB/Gen2 library, ie libibverbs?
> >>

> >No. I am not aware of using any of it.
> >

> Hmm ... I asked this since you are trying to use MVAPICH over
> OpenIB/Gen2 library. It doesn't seem that you have that underlying
> InfiniBand library installed.
>
> >>5. Does `lspci -v | grep InfiniBand' show any InfiniBand device? If so,
> >>

> >No results for grep InfiniBand, but the rest is as follows,
> >

> This indicates on this machine there is *no* InfiniBand card present.
> This is the main reason the autodetect is failing. The InfiniServe HCA
> you mention is not plugged into this machine.
>
> May I suggest that you contact your InfiniBand vendor and ask them about
> which library {VAPI, OpenIB/Gen2} should you use. After you have all
> InfiniBand cards and libraries installed, we would recommend going over
> the MVAPICH user guide which will guide you from building MVAPICH to
> using it. It has a troubleshooting section too which will help you
> diagnose/rectify the most common problems faced by newcomers to
InfiniBand.