[mvapich-discuss] mpdtrace issue...

Sayantan Sur surs at cse.ohio-state.edu
Wed Aug 23 13:27:47 EDT 2006

Hello Durga,

Choudhury, Durga wrote:

> Hi All
>

> The `mpdtrace` command seems to have a bug in it (or is it by design?)
> which is as follows:
>

> If the hostname of my machine is foo_bar, mpdtrace prints only the
> first part of it, i.e. foo. In our case, the nodes are in slots of a
> VME chassis with hostnames such as board_1 board_2 etc, which become
> all identical name for mpdtrace.
>

> Until now, I was using and testing mvapich (just the MPICH2 part of
> it) on an empty card cage with just two slots populated that I was
> naming manually. In a fully loaded chassis that I am now testing, the
> names are assigned automatically and the mpdring does not form, which
> worked flawlessly before. I suspect this might be because of this
> mpdtrace issue. Please help.

Thanks for bringing this up. Does "mpdtrace" work fine if the hostnames
do not have underscore (_) in them?

I hadn't encountered underscores in host names, so I did a google
search. I came across RFC-952, which deals with Internet host table
specification. Particularly, it assumes that underscores are not present
in a hostname.

"1. A "name" (Net, Host, Gateway, or Domain name) is a text string up to
24 characters drawn from the alphabet (A-Z), digits (0-9), minus sign
(-), and period (.). "

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc952.html

Thanks,
Sayantan.