[mvapich-discuss] mpirun runtime problems with ch_gen2

Guido Passet guido.passet at clustervision.com
Fri Apr 14 11:31:59 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I seem to be getting some strange error with mpirun in combination with
the ch_gen2 device. I am using the OSU MVAPICH 0.9.7 (03/14/06)
(Integrated MVAPICH tarball with MPICH 1.2.7 + MVICH) Altho i get the
exact same thing with the latest SVN checkout.

Please see the paste below describing the problem i run into:

$> mpirun -nolocal -machinefile nodes -np 2 ./foo

Cannot find MPIRUN machine file for machine ch_gen2
and architecture LINUX.
(No device specified.)

I more or less compile mvapich as stated below:

export CC="gcc"
export FC="g77"
export CXX="g++"
export C_COMPILER="$CC"
export FORTRAN_COMPILER="$FC"
export OPTFLAGS="-O3 -g -fno-strict-aliasing"
export RSHCOMMAND="ssh"
export CFLAGS="-D_X86_64_ \
                -DEARLY_SEND_COMPLETION \
                -DMEMORY_SCALE \
                -DVIADEV_RPUT_SUPPORT \
                -DLAZY_MEM_UNREGISTER \
                -DCH_GEN2 \
                -D_SMP_ \
                -D_SMP_RNDV_ \
                -D_DDR_ \
                -D_PCI_EX_ \
                -I%{openibhome0}/include"
export FFLAGS="-L%{openibhome0}/lib"
./configure \
       --with-arch=LINUX \
       --with-device=ch_gen2 \
       --with-romio \
       --without-mpe \
       --enable-f90 \
        -c++=$CXX \
        -lib="-L%{openibhome0}/lib -libverbs -lpthread" \
        -opt="$OPTFLAGS" \
        -prefix=%{destdir0}/%{name}/%{version}

which seems to compile fine. However when i want to use mpirun it fails
because of the ch_gen2 device.

Am i missing something here or is ch_gen2 not fully supported yet? The
MVAPICH 0.9.7 release notes state gen2 support. However ./configure
--help does not list the device. BUT it is found in several places.

Running things through the interactive make.mvapich.gen2 script does the
exact same thing.

Compiling things with --with-device=ch_p4 gets me rid of my mpirun
problem but runs over tcpip :(

Any advise or clues would be very appreciated!

With kind regards,
Guido Passet            Email: guido.passet at clustervision.com

ClusterVision BV        Email support: support at clustervision.com
Nieuw-Zeelandweg 15B    Web: http://www.clustervision.com
1045 AL Amsterdam       Tel: +31 20 407 7550
The Netherlands         Fax: +31 84 759 8389