MCLC: Hundred Days' Literature

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu May 2 09:11:46 EDT 2019

MCLC LIST
Hundred Days’ Literature
Dear colleagues,
I would like to take advantage of this mailing list to announce the publication of my (first) book, Hundred Days’ Literature: Chinese Utopian Fiction at the End of Empire, 1902–1910, published by Brill in its “East Asian Comparative Literature and Culture” series.
Lorenzo Andolfatto
Hundred Days’ Literature: Chinese Utopian Fiction at the End of Empire, 1902–1910. Leiden: Brill, 2019 - East Asian Comparative Literature and Culture series, Volume 11. ISBN: 978-90-04-39884-9
>From the Editor’s presentation:
In Hundred Days’ Literature, Lorenzo Andolfatto explores the landscape of early modern Chinese fiction through the lens of the utopian novel, casting new light on some of its most peculiar yet often overshadowed literary specimens. The wutuobang or lixiang xiaoshuo, by virtue of its ideally totalizing perspective, provides a one-of-a-kind critical tool for the understanding of late imperial China’s fragmented Zeitgeist. Building upon rigorous close reading and solid theoretical foundations, Hundred Days’ Literature offers the reader a transcultural critical itinerary that links Edward Bellamy’s Looking Backward to Wu Jianren’s Xin Shitou ji via the writings of Liang Qichao, Chen Tianhua, Bihe Guanzhuren, and Lu Shi’e. The book also includes the first English translation of Cai Yuanpei’s short story “New Year’s Dream.”
For further information, please refer to its dedicated page on Brill’s website at https://brill.com/view/title/34727?format=HC, or feel free to contact me directly atLorenzo.andolfatto at asia-europe.uni-heidelberg.de.
Sincerely,
Lorenzo Andolfatto <lorenzo.andolfatto at asia-europe.uni-heidelberg.de>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on May 2, 2019