MCLC: Memory and Motion in Asian Literature and Film--cfp

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Feb 12 09:18:31 EST 2019

MCLC LIST
Memory and Motion in Asian Literature and Film–cfp
RMMLA (Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association Annual Convention)
Call for Papers
October 10-12, 2019, El Paso, Texas
Panel: Memory and Motion in Asian Literature and Film
This panel seeks to explore the “cultural memories and contemporary trends of motions” in the broadest sense, in terms of geographic/cultural borders as well as genres. We welcome papers that examine instances of intra-Asian or East-West transcultural encounters, and/or interdisciplinary connections in Asian literature, film and performance art. Papers might address:
Transculturation of history and memory in Asian literary, theatrical, and/or visual texts
Case studies of literary/cinematic and/or cultural translation and adaptation in relation to communicative memory and contemporary motion
Interdisciplinary connections between literature, cinema, theater, and other genres
The role translation played in the preservation and reconstruction of memories in Asian countries
Digital humanities and memory and/or activism
Media and Technology
Climate Change and Social Memory
Dynamic intertextuality within Asia
Cultural collaborations that travel national boundaries
Power dynamics between Asian texts and global cultural discourses
Memory and Activism
We hope to accept a broad range of submissions and widely open up discussions that address broad but fundamental questions concerning the creation and transculturation of texts across Asia and beyond. We encourage contributions from the fields of East Asian Studies, Chinese Studies, Taiwan Studies, Sinophone Studies, Comparative Literature, Cinema & Media Studies, Feminist Studies, Queer Studies, Trauma and Memory Studies, Ecocriticism as well as other fields. Please send a 250-word abstract and a brief C.V. by March 15 to Wendy Sun(xiaoxue at ucsb.edu) and Brad Lint(bradlint at me.com).
by denton.2 at osu.edu on February 12, 2019