MCLC: Muslin detentions updates

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Sep 12 09:05:57 EDT 2018

MCLC LIST
Muslin detentions updates
My running bibliography on the Xinjiang concentration camps has been updated, at:
https://uhrp.org/featured-articles/chinas-re-education-concentration-camps-xinjiang
Also, three important things to report from yesterday:
1. In Geneva, in her FIRST speech, the new UN chair of the human rights commission, Michelle Bachelet (former Chilean president who was once herself a political prisoner), expressed grave concerns about the Xinjiang camps, and demanded full access to all of China, including Xinjiang, for her high office:
https://www.scmp.com/news/world/europe/article/2163587/new-un-rights-chief-takes-stabs-worlds-mighty-ranging-china
2. Big report from Human Rights Watch was released: A massive refutation of the Chinese govt denials of these atrocities:
“Eradicating Ideological Viruses” - China’s Campaign of Repression Against Xinjiang’s Muslims. HRW, September 9, 2018. https://www.hrw.org/report/2018/09/09/eradicating-ideological-viruses/chinas-campaign-repression-against-xinjiangs
https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/09/09/china-massive-crackdown-muslim-region
https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/09/10/interview-chinas-crackdown-turkic-muslims
3. At my university we held a roundtable discussion with three faculty, which went very well, big crowd, including great Q&A:
http://events.cornell.edu/event/the_mass_re-education_camps_in_chinas_xinjiang_an_open_roundtable_discussion
http://cornellsun.com/2018/09/10/professors-call-on-cornell-to-speak-up-on-chinese-detainment-of-more-than-one-million-muslim-minorities/
My own main message was: Let's not be silent.
From: Magnus Fiskesjö, nf42 at cornell.edu
by denton.2 at osu.edu on September 12, 2018