MCLC: 'Add oil' makes it into the OED (2,3)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 30 09:55:40 EDT 2018

MCLC LIST
‘Add oil’ makes it into the OED (2,3)
I also have the similar question as Tina: the usage of "jiayou" as a cheer should be much earlier than 1960s. According to this article, the slang was first created on Qinghua campus in the 1920s, and later popularized by the CCP in the 1930s. But it's still not clear if the "you" originally means "cooking oil" or "machinery oil," or both.
Cheers,
Jin Liu <jin.liu at modlangs.gatech.edu>
Came across this on WeChaot about the origin of “add oil.” I did not try to verify its authenticity. Some might find it interesting.
Liang Shi
Miami University

by denton.2 at osu.edu on October 30, 2018