MCLC: An evening of East Asian vocal arts

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 29 10:05:58 EDT 2018

MCLC LIST
An evening of East Asian vocal arts
Dear Colleagues,
I am writing to let you know about an upcoming East Asian vocal concert at Swarthmore College on Nov. 3, 8-9:30PM. Guest artists from Shanghai, Tokyo and Seoul will deliver the world’s greatest cultural treasures—Kunqu, Noh and Pansori—in one evening, with selection of the most canonical compositions: Tanci (The Ballad from Palace of Lasting Life), Kiyotsune and Hagomoro (The Feather Mantle), and Ch’unhyanga (The Song of a Faithful Wife). This concert highlights these seamlessly merged, musically invaluable arts. The concert is free and open to the public. If you are in Philadelphia area during the next weekend, please let me know and I will reserve seats for you.
I myself will be the vocalist in the Kunqu performance. While both the Noh and Pansori singers are in the lineage of UNESCO's "Intangible Cultural Heritage" in their native soils, respectively, as a Kunqu singer I will represent the branch of the Chinese heritage that has almost been forgotten--my master of Kunqu, Mr. ZHU Fu, studied Kunqu under a disciple of Aisin Gioro Putong, the brother of China's last emperor, in the last few years of the Cultural Revolution, and passed on all that he learned from Ye to me in 2002, before I came to the US to pursue my Ph.D. degree at the University of Chicago.
There will also be a reception after the concert, which offers opportunities to mingle and communicate with guest artists.
Best wishes,
Peng Xu <pxu1 at swarthmore.edu>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on October 29, 2018