MCLC: Role of Han civilians in Xinjiang repression

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Oct 26 10:09:38 EDT 2018

MCLC LIST
Role of Han civilians in Xinjiang repression
May I recommend, in the most earnest terms, a ChinaFile essay by Darren Byler:
http://www.chinafile.com/reporting-opinion/postcard/million-citizens-occupy-uighur-homes-xinjiang
Considering what is described, this is a remarkably restrained and objective report.  Like some great novels, it adopts the perspective of a narrator with limited awareness: the Han Chinese who have been dispatched to live in Uyghur homes, probe families' loyalty to the state, and recommend who should be sent to the camps. It affected my understanding of and feeling for the events in Xinjiang more than anything else I have read.
A. E. Clark
by denton.2 at osu.edu on October 26, 2018