MCLC: Gui Minhai hauled off again

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 23 10:01:20 EST 2018

MCLC LIST
Gui Minhai hauled off again
My compatriot Gui Minhai, Swedish citizen and longtime Hong Kong publisher -- whose flourishing bookstore was destroyed after he was abducted from Thailand to China in October 2015, and detained there extra-legally, until recently, when the Chinese authorities told our government he was now "released" (October 2017) but then seemed to keep him in house arrest -- has been suddenly detained again, Saturday Jan. 21, while trying to go to a doctor's appointment at our country's embassy in Beijing AND WHILE accompanied by two Swedish diplomats. Ten men in civilian clothes, claiming to be policemen, hauled him off.
I guess that either the Chinese regime is trying to humiliate our country on purpose (not sure for what purpose? hubris, delighting in showing bullying and frighten everyone, that they can grab anyone, anytime, no matter their citizenship and no matter what?) -- or the different arms of the Chinese government have no clue what the other arms are up to. Or there is some other mysterious explanation. In any event, Gui is now ill, with a new, apparently serious medical affliction he has contracted while in his 2+ year Chinese custody.
--Among the lastest news, see:
HK bookseller Gui Minhai snatched once again. RTHK, 2018-01-22 HKT 19:20.
http://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1376595-20180122.htm
After release, Swede Gui Minhai detained again by China. Radio Sweden. Published kl 12.38, 22 jan 2018. (3:49 min broadcast)
http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2054&artikel=6867297
Hong Kong bookseller detained again by Chinese authorities. By Kelvin Chan. Washington Post/AP • Foreign • Jan 22, 2018. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/hong-kong-bookseller-detained-again-by-chinese-authorities/2018/01/22/9fa0c4f6-ff89-11e7-86b9-8908743c79dd_story.html
Chinese Police Seize Publisher From Train in Front of Diplomats. By CHRIS BUCKLEY. New York Times, JAN. 22, 2018.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/22/world/asia/china-police-bookseller-train-gui-minhai.html
+ https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/22/world/asia/china-police-bookseller-train-gui-minhai.html
Freedom To Publish: The Prix Voltaire 2018 Shortlist Honors Figures from Asia, Europe, and Africa. By Porter Anderson. January 12, 2018. https://publishingperspectives.com/2018/01/prix-voltaire-2018-shortlist-international-publishers-association/
Missing Hong Kong bookseller shortlisted for the Prix Voltaire. The Bookseller, Published January 11, 2018. By Katherine Cowdrey.
https://www.thebookseller.com/news/iranian-e-publisher-and-missing-hk-bookseller-shortlisted-2018-ipa-prix-voltaire-707491
Free speech moves: A persecuted bookseller vows to reopen in Taiwan. By Jane Rickards, TAIPEI, freelance correspondent. The Economist.
http://www.theworldin.com/article/14434/edition2018free-speech-moves
--Also I have a compilation of all the news about Gui Minhai in multiple languages, including Chinese, which I will be glad to send anyone interested.
Magnus Fiskesjö <nf42 at cornell.edu>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on January 23, 2018