MCLC: Arif Dirlik's Life and Work--cfp (1,2)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 28 09:39:13 EST 2018

MCLC LIST
Arif Dirlik’s Life and Work–cfp (1,2)
We should be very clear that, if this journal is subject to State censorship -- and PRC-published journals are -- Dirlik's history of severely criticizing the PRC for its violence against the environment, peasants, the working class and so on does not get erased. My in Memoriam piece for Arif was censored for a 广州publication and had to be published from Hong Kong, in 二十一世纪 instead. And that was only the mildest indication of Arif's long time criticism of the PRC. So, beware.
Rebecca Karl  <karl.rebecca22 at gmail.com>
This is concerning the special issue of China Book Review on the life and work of Arif Dirlik.  As most scholars know, over the last fifteen years or so, Arif was increasingly critical of the PRC—both its domestic and its international policies.  His was a major voice in opposition to Confucian Institutes.   For many years, towards the end of his life,  he refused invitations to speak in China.  His last book, Complicities: The People’s Republic of China in Global Capitalism, was a searing indictment of China’s position in the global capitalist order, and the threat it posed to the environment, to world peace,  and to other countries.  Given that China Book Review is subject to censorship by PRC government authorities, it would be important for the editors to clarify at the outset whether or not it would be possible to include in the special issue substantial and open discussion of this important phase of Arif’s career.  He would be horrified, I am sure, if it were not.
Chris Connery <cconnery at ucsc.edu>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on February 28, 2018