MCLC: Harassment case ignites online debate (3)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 22 09:30:17 EDT 2017

MCLC LIST
Harassment case ignites online debate (3)
Hmm, yes, with no disrespect intended, I do nevertheless have a funny feeling that W. Kubin missed the point of the article, as well as the problematic nature of general discussion of this event.
First of all, on the event itself, there are longstanding issues in contemporary China with dealing with sexual harassment (http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1067359.shtml) and rape. In this context, the otherness of the perpetrator has likely enhanced the visibility and discussion of the case, which could otherwise sadly be brushed aside in some situations as just "what men do."
Second, this enhanced visibility is ironically a positive result with considerably more distressing origins, and as a result, distressing outcomes. I'm not sure I want to solely bracket this under the label "Islamophobia," but rather propose an "Islamophobia with Chinese characteristics" that combines Islamophobia with the various quite widespread prejudices that Chinese citizens can hold against the former "barbarians" who are now supposedly fellow citizens.
One has to live in an alternate ideological universe to believe that Muslims in China are receiving preferential treatment, unless one considers complementary reeducation camps as preferential treatment (http://www.rfa.org/english/news/uyghur/training-camps-09112017154343.html). And despite the bemoaned lack of ethnic unity, the response online shows there is in fact no lack of "ethnic unity" when it comes to pointing the finger at perceived outsiders.
For anyone who is unaware of these issues, I can recommend a few quick reads.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/09/08/china-resists-chinese-muslims-and-halal-amid-islamaphobia/563300001/
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/china-jails-muslim-huang-shike-teaching-islam-online-wechat-groups/
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-burma-rogingya-muslim-crisis-safeguard-stability-support-east-asia-massacre-army-a7941916.html
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/globe-and-mail-journalist-i-was-detained-by-chinas-secret-police-heres-what-happened/article36090210/