MCLC: China's Trojan Horse (2)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon May 15 11:02:45 EDT 2017

MCLC LIST
China’s Trojan Horse (2)
With all due respect, -- I think you are conflating things that we should take care to differentiate.
The "privatisation" of higher ed with external funding from companies and the like, is one thing; it can of course be debated, including how it may, as you suggest, have paved the way for targeted investment from the Chinese government. But Chinese government interference building on such investments is another thing. One does not justify the other, corporate influence does not justify Chinese government interference.
Also, to identify the threat to academic freedom and freedom of expression from Chinese government interference is not xenophobia, or fearmongering -- terms which would suggest it is unreal. But it is very real -- it's widely documented, and even directly admitted by that government -- and should not be obscured.
In relation to this point, I also feel we should take great care to not conflate the Chinese government with the people at large, for example we should beware of writing "the Chinese" (as some journalists and others sometimes do -- most regrettably), when we really mean "the Chinese government/Party-State."
ps. I have contributed a book chapter on these issues and more, in a forthcoming book on the life of xenophobia today, which I think is in press now. Will post a note when it is released.
--yrs,
Magnus Fiskesjö <nf42 at cornell.edu>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on May 15, 2017