MCLC: Filial Obsessions

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri May 5 09:48:27 EDT 2017

MCLC LIST
Filial Obsessions
I would like to recommend a new book--my colleague Steve Sangren's just-published, long-awaited work on Chinese patriliny and filial piety:
Sangren, P. Steven. Filial Obsessions: Chinese Patriliny and its Discontents. Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing/Palgrave Macmillan, 2017. 383 p. ISBN: 9783319504926; 3319504924
Contents:
Preface and overview --
Popular religion, a Chinese superboy, and "the investiture of the gods" --
"Filial piety" and cultural difference --
Spirit possession, family issues, and the revelation of gods' biographies --
Filial piety: fathers, real and ideal --
The social production of desire --
Ancestor worship, the Confucian father, and filial piety --
Women as outsiders: princesses, defilement, and Buddhist salvation --
Woman as symptom: beyond gender? --
A concluding manifesto: culture and desire.
yrs,
Magnus Fiskesjö
by denton.2 at osu.edu on May 5, 2017