MCLC: Legacy of the Chinese Empire

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 10 02:12:40 EDT 2017

MCLC LIST
Legacy of the Chinese Empire
Hello--may I mention my newest publication:
"The Legacy of the Chinese Empires: Beyond 'the West and the Rest.'" By Magnus Fiskesjö. Education About Asia 22.1 (Spring 2017), pp. 6-10.
In a special issue on "Contemporary Postcolonial Asia," now available & downloadable at: http://www.asian-studies.org/Publications/EAA/About
This article starts with the observation that imperialism and colonialism aren't exclusively "Western" phenomena. To think so is to miss the long view of history, and this not only impedes our understanding of empires and colonialisms generally, but it also undermines our ability to understand China, itself historically a colonialist empire built on conquest. The article briefly explains major aspects of Chinese imperialism and colonialism, and why this history and legacy today is so often obscured, and denied -- even though the legacy of the Chinese empires continues to weigh so heavily on China today.
Sincerely, Magnus Fiskesjö <nf42 at cornell.edu>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on June 10, 2017