MCLC: Liu Xiaobo memorialised in social art

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Jul 14 10:07:33 EDT 2017

MCLC LIST
Liu Xiaobo memorialised in social art
Source: BBC News (7/14/17)
Liu Xiaobo: The Chinese dissident memorialised in social art
Nobel laureate Liu Xiaobo was an inspiring figure for a new generation of Chinese pro-democracy activists and his death is being remembered by political artists.
Many activists saw him as a godfather for their cause, and have paid tribute to a man who was branded a criminal by Chinese authorities for his activism and jailed several times for "subversion".
One source of inspiration was the well-documented love between Liu Xiaobo and his wife, Liu Xia, who has also been placed under house arrest.
Who was Liu Xiaobo?
Love that survived a labour camp
This image of them, which was circulated recently by their activist friends, particularly resounded with many.
The Australia-based artist also put up a version of the work on a wall on Hosier Lane in Melbourne on Wednesday, calling for Mr Liu's release.
Prominent political cartoonist Rebel Pepper drew and tweeted an alternative take on the photo.
Chinese cartoonist Xiaoguai also drew inspiration from the same picture and tweeted this image of two candles symbolising the couple.
In 2010, Mr Liu was not allowed to travel to Sweden to receive his Nobel Peace Prize.
An image of his empty chair has been inspiration for artists - such as in this work by Badiucao.
Rebel Pepper meanwhile drew a tribute to the chair with Liu Xiaobo's striped pyjamas.
In Hong Kong, where activists had been calling for Mr Liu's release, 17-year-old student Anson Hui told AFP news agency earlier this week that he feared what Mr Liu's death would mean.
"I feel scared. If we lose Liu Xiaobo, nobody could replace him... If there's no Liu Xiaobo we can't unite the whole world to speak out.
"The world will lose a spiritual leader."
by denton.2 at osu.edu on July 14, 2017