MCLC: Marilyn B. Young in memoriam

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 20 11:09:42 EST 2017

MCLC LIST
Marilyn B. Young in memoriam
It is with great sadness that we mark the passing of Marilyn B. Young. She died on February 19th at home in New York, surrounded by family and friends. Marilyn was a feminist pioneer in academia. With a PhD from Harvard, she published some of the earliest work in English on women in China's revolution, along with her book on China in US foreign policy during the Spanish-American War. Shifting gears slightly, she went on to write a most trenchant account of the US wars in Vietnam, a book whose relevance endures today. She devoted her scholarly life to holding US power to account and wrote widely on the US wars in/on the world. Marilyn taught at a number of places, including at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor; and then, for most of her career, at New York University's History Department. She was a beloved teacher and mentor to many generations of students. For many of us, she was a critical and sympathetic editor: she wielded a red pen and pruned problematic prose with relentless energy and acumen. She was, as well, a loyal friend, a devoted mother, and a doting grandmother. We will miss her terribly.
Rebecca E. Karl <rebecca.karl at nyu.edu>
History Department
New York University
by denton.2 at osu.edu on February 20, 2017