MCLC: Taiwan International Ethnographic Film Fest 2017

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Aug 1 10:03:22 EDT 2017

MCLC LIST
Taiwan International Ethnographic Film Fest 2017
The 9th Taiwan International Ethnographic Film Festival 2017
October 6 – 10, 2017 in Taipei, Taiwan
TIEFF 2017 Lineup Announced!
2017 Lineup
We are pleased to announce the official selections for the 2017 Taiwan International Ethnographic Film Festival (TIEFF). TIEFF is Asia’s oldest and longest running international ethnographic film festival. Competition was especially tight this year, with over one thousand five hundred films (from one hundred and eleven countries) submitted to the festival.
The final list consists of just forty two films, the maximum number we could comfortably schedule with sufficient time left over for discussion. The selected films are incredibly diverse. Not only do they come from twenty different countries, but they deal with a wide range of issues, and represent a wide range of cinematic styles.
The main topic this year was “Beyond the Human” which explores the interconnections between humans, animals, technology, the environment, and the spirit-world. In addition to films on these topics, we also have films that explore death and dying, mental illness, social justice, travel, refugees, and indigenous cultures. Many of these films have never before been screened in Taiwan.
The full list of films is below. We hope you can join us this October 6th-10th in Taipei. Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or via our mailing list to get the latest updates about the festival.
Announcing Our 2017 Lineup
Title (Sorted alphabetically)
Director
Country
Abandoned Land
Gilles Laurent
Belgium
After Life
Prisca Bouchet, Nick Mayow
New Zealand
An Autobiography of Michelle Maren
Michel Negroponte, Michelle Maren
United States
Burma Storybook
Petr Lom, Corinne van Egeraat
Netherlands
Chasing Houses
Justin Time
Germany
Coal India
Felix Röben, Ajay Koli
Germany
Dialogue Among Tribes (部落|對話)
Pan Zhi-Wei 潘志偉
Taiwan 臺灣
Drokpa
Yan Chun Su
United States
Encounter, in That End of the Forest (相遇在那端森林)
Etan Pavavalung 伊誕.巴瓦瓦隆
Taiwan 臺灣
Entretejido
Patricia Alvarez
Peru
Faber Navalis
Maurizio Borriello
Italy
Father, Mother, Ali, Reza and Me
Hanie Yousefian
Iran
Five Lives
Jaroslava Panáková
Slovakia
A Goddess in Motion. María Lionza in Barcelona
Roger Canals
United States
Gonya: the Shaman’s Day Out
Haklak Choi
Korea
Guru, a Hijra Family
Laurie Colson, Axelle Le Dauphin
Belgium
Kalay Ngasan: Our Home (Kalay Ngasan 我們的家)
Huang Hao-chieh 黃晧傑
Taiwan 臺灣
Laundry Lives: Everyday Life and Environmental Sustainability in Indonesia
Sarah Pink, Nadia Astari
Australia
Leviathan
Véréna Paravel, Lucien Castaing-Taylor