MCLC: Refracting Gender in Modern China--cfp

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 16 09:41:14 EDT 2016

MCLC LIST
Refracting Gender in Modern China–cfp
Dear Colleagues,
As we are entering the new academic year we are sending out a call for papers for a postgraduate  workshop: ‘Refracting Gender in Modern China: New Voices, New Perspectives’ to be held at SOAS, University of London on 17th-19th February 2017.
We warmly invite PhD students and Post-doctoral researchers who are working on the subject of Gender in Modern China from the late Qing to the 1960s to attend.  Submissions are particularly welcome from those working in the humanities field, including history, literature, film, art, religious and gender studies perspectives.  Participants are encouraged to discuss their use of source materials in their research and to engage critically with other researchers’ work. Researchers will also have the opportunity to gain feedback on their projects from leading scholars in the field. Prof. Joan Judge, (York University, CA) will deliver the keynote speech. Prof. Jiang Jin (East China Normal University) will lead the round table discussion with a short introduction about women’s studies in China. Prof. Michel Hockx (Notre Dame, USA) will present his latest research.
The workshop is sponsored by the SOAS China Institute, London Confucius Institute, SOAS Doctoral School and the Swiss Soong Ching Ling Foundation.
Please send a 250 word abstract to: refractinggender at soas.ac.uk, including your full name, institutional affiliation, year of study (if applicable) and email address.
Deadline for Abstract Submissions:
Papers due: 25 January 2017
Please find details on the pdf flyer.