MCLC: Schwarzman Scholars program (1)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 13 09:53:36 EDT 2016

MCLC LIST
Schwarzman Scholars program (1)
Dear Colleagues:
Some of my best students express interest in this program, and some do apply, although I do try to explain to them that the program doesn’t make sense other than as a networking tool. The idea that a one-year MA program that does not require any previous study of China or the Chinese language could possibly offer “cultural immersion” or produce graduates who would be “able to explain complex issues” and “explain China to the world and the world to China” is preposterous, unless they were able to do so before they were admitted.
Charles A. Laughlin <cal5m at eservices.virginia.edu>
University of Virginia
by denton.2 at osu.edu on September 13, 2016