MCLC: Tianxia, imperial ambition or cosmopolitanism (1)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 20 09:44:35 EDT 2016

MCLC LIST
Tianxia, imperial ambition or cosmopolitanism (1)
This is an interesting, informative, and thought-provoking analysis.
I find the tianxia culture/normative appeal versus the realpolitik dimension to be persuasive semantically, but where intellectual history and politics are concerned, how do we substantiate that, because ancient China at certain moments manifested specific types of world views (i.e., Tianxia), such views thoroughly inform and are inextricable from contemporary Chinese political philosophy and praxis? One argument holds that political behavior is biological and racial: "In Chinese blood, there is no DNA for aggression" (Xi Jinping. South China Morning Post  Sunday, 18 May, 2014. http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1514570/president-xi-jinping-vows-peace-pla-top-brass-talks-tough-and-vietnam). Wang Ban compels us to historicize and dissect such claims, which can only help us in refuting them.
Nick Kaldis <nkaldis at gmail.com>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on October 20, 2016