=?UTF-8?Q?MCLC:_Shengn=C3=BC_(leftover_women)_in_Chinese_literature_(2, 3)?=

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Oct 19 10:04:58 EDT 2016

MCLC LIST
Shengnü (leftover women) in Chinese literature (2,3)
This is indeed a niche point to occupy but I cannot think of any influential fiction that centers on the leftover woman yet; but in popular online fiction and "low-end" film there are: "閃婚生女」「剩女的全盛時代」,POPULAR FILM 2015 舒淇 彭于晏 「剩者為王」
Flair Donglai SHI <183967472 at qq.com>
You can find a couple of stories  from the early 1980s in translation in One Half of the Sky  Heinemann, London, 1978.  The collection includes Zhang Xinxin’s “How Did I Miss You?” (我在那儿错过了你? Originally published in Shouhuo 收获, 1980, No 5) and "Because I’m Thirty and Unmarried” by Xu Naijian (not sure of the original Chinese title or publication details but probably also 1980). These covered young women who were sent to the countryside during the CR, did not marry there, because they would have had to give up their city residence rights if they did, and then returned to the cities after the CR, but found the men of their age who returned with them then married younger women, thus creating the group of "leftover women."
Cheers,
Rosemary Roberts <rosemary.roberts at uq.edu.au>
School of Languages and Cultures
University of Queensland