MCLC: Chinese literature finds its place (1)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Oct 15 14:14:37 EDT 2016

MCLC LIST
Chinese literature finds its place (1)
I very much enjoyed this article, which draws attention to many of the most exciting things going on in contemporary literature, but I hope members of this list will be inspired to also publish more articles in the mainstream media that can provide a deeper sense of the cultural context from which these new phenomena emerge. This article unintentionally falls into the trap of making it seem like everything worth looking at in China came out of nowhere and moreover is primarily Western-influenced. In fact, they seem to both be saying the hot new writers are shaped by global literary trends, but also are indifferent to them (because they think they’re better?). Readers should not have to rely on economics professors and rock music promoters to provide information on contemporary Chinese literature.
I know some of you are out there writing, I’m just saying we need more (I should contribute as well)!
Charles A. Laughlin <cal5m at eservices.virginia.edu>
University of Virginia
by denton.2 at osu.edu on October 15, 2016