MCLC: Save the Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities (4)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 10 09:32:32 EDT 2016

MCLC LIST
Save the Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities (4)
First of all, I wish to thank Magnus for his interest and concern for China’s heritage. It can also be viewed as heritage of human kind. Obviously he is a learned professional and I am only a concerned citizen. Yes, I was mistaken in my last email. What had happened was the Berlin Museum.
I understand museums outside China which have extensive Chinese collections are concerned with the lost and destruction of pieces in China. During the last two centuries China experienced war, revolution, political chaos, and most of all poverty. She did not have the time and resources to take care of her own heritage. For that reason only, I am glad, like some other Chinese, that some pieces are protected in foreign museums. However, should this situation perpetuate forever? I have visited some well organised and equipped museums in China recently. Would China not have the museums and professional archeologist and museum staff to care for her own heritage?
Lily Lee <l.lee at sydney.edu.au>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on October 10, 2016