MCLC: Update on the Modern Language Association (MLA)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Jun 22 09:27:32 EDT 2016

MCLC LIST
Update on the Modern Language Association (MLA)
I wish to update the MCLC listserv members on recent developments at the MLA. As has already been reported, the MLA has undergone a massive transformation in the organization of its membership, moving from Divisions and Discussion Groups (which have been eliminated) to Forums. This new structure has offered much more room for scholars working on languages other than English and Western Europe and issues heretofore underrepresented in the Association. As a result, so far new Forums have been approved in the following areas: East Asian, Ming and Qing Chinese, Modern and Contemporary Chinese, Premodern Japanese, Modern and Contemporary Japanese, and Korean. There also are plans for a Forum for South East Asia and another for Chinese before 1400.
The representative organ of the MLA is called the Delegate Assembly, and it presides over all changes in policy, approves proposals for amendments to the Constitution (which then must be ratified by the membership), and approves proposals for such things as Resolutions (which also must be ratified by the membership). In fact, the move to Forums was approved by the Delegate Assembly. With the institution of the Forum structure, it became necessary also to transform the Delegate Assembly structure, because with the addition of so many new Forums the Delegate Assembly (on which each Division had a Delegate, in addition to a variety of other Delegates) would become unwieldy. I was nominated and elected to the Elections Committee and served as Chair as we contemplated changes to the Delegate Assembly. We essentially proposed that the number of Regional Delegates be reduced in number but not eliminated, ensured that each Forum will eventually have a Delegate, and made numerous changes to the professional issues Delegate categories. These changes were discussed at the Delegate Assembly in 2015 and considerable feedback was received. The Elections Committee then requested the Amendments Committee to fashion four Amendments to the Constitution for approval by the Delegate Assembly in 2016. The Amendments were approved by the Delegate Assembly in 2016, and then put up for ratification vote to the MLA membership. I’m pleased to say that as of June 1st all four Amendments have been ratified. This will mean that soon the newly constituted Forums will be able to conduct elections for their Delegates (one each).
The importance of this to us in Chinese Studies and in Comparative Studies that involves Chinese and/or East Asian culture is that there will be much more room in the MLA for us, going forward. I encourage scholars to seriously consider getting involved in the MLA at this important point, because the structure, and I would add the overall atmosphere of the Association, has changed dramatically. I am not one to sugarcoat situations that are unfair or just plain stupid. The transformation of the MLA into something that is much more accommodating to those of us who hitherto were often viewed marginally as “area studies scholars” is nothing short of Copernican. The bottom line will be much more opportunity to present papers in all fields having to do with East Asia. I also wish to encourage scholars to get involved in the governance of the MLA through various means: the Forums, the Delegate Assembly, and a wide variety of standing committees, some by election and some by appointment. It will help our hand in the MLA to have more of “us” involved in it.
I with take this opportunity to mention, to the best of my ability, those currently representing us at the MLA. On the LLC East Asian Forum: Monica Dix, Alexa Huang, Paul Rouser, Xiaofei Tian, Rivi Handler-Spitz, Kelly Jeong, and Geraldine Fiss; on the LLC Ming and Qing Chinese Forum: Tina Lu, Liana Chen, Nathan Faries, and Andrew Schonebaum; on the LLC Modern and Contemporary Chinese: Christopher Lupke, Paul Manfredi, Jiwei Xiao, and Christopher Tong. Michael Hill serves on the Translation Forum. In addition to our “own” Forums, we need to work to get East Asian Studies scholars on other Forums in the Association. A full list is available on line. On the Delegate Assembly, we are represented by the following Delegates: Adeline Koh (Comparative Literature and Cultural Studies); Ming-Bao Yue (East Asian); Chia-ju Chang (Foreign Language Teaching); Jessica Tsui-Yan Li (Lecturers, Adjuncts, and Instructors); Hsiu-Chuang Deppman (Less-Taught Languages); Paul Manfredi (Less-Taught Languages); David Kim (Western US and Western Canada). Among the standing committees, we are represented by the following colleagues: Edward Kamens (Program Committee); Jiwei Xiao (PMLA Advisory Committee); Karen Thornber (Publications Committee); and Bruce Fulton (Texts and Translations Editorial Board). If I’ve overlooked anyone, I apologize. All this information should be available on the MLA website.
Sincerely,
Christopher Lupke <lupke at wsu.edu>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on June 22, 2016