MCLC: Asian urbanization course suggestions?

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 22 10:01:17 EST 2016

MCLC LIST
Asian urbanization course suggestions?
Dear Colleagues,
The Asian Studies program and Urban Studies program at Rhodes College is designing an interdisciplinary, team-taught course on Asian urbanization and the cinematic representation of urban life in Asia. The course is envisioned to discuss both a variety of Asian metropolises (e.g., Beijing, Shanghai, Hong kong, Seoul, Tokyo) as well as a couple of Asian small towns. In addition, we also plan to have students examine a couple of overseas areas with significant diaspora Asian populations.
Since this course is still in the design stage, we would appreciate any input or suggestions on the following three aspects.
What Asian mega-cities – other than the ones above - would be a good fit for this course?
What film titles – new or old – well capture themes related to urbanization and urban life in Asia?
What cities outside of Asia/what titles might provide for a compelling study?
Thank you.
Li Han <hanl at rhodes.edu>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on January 22, 2016