MCLC: The college of Chinese wisdom (1)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Apr 6 08:56:45 EDT 2016

MCLC LIST
The college of Chinese wisdom (1)
A charming description of Chinese philosophy. It's wonderful to hear that mantra about "finding yourself" again.  I thought a nudge from Han Feizi might even out the ballast. With a tip of the hat to Frederic Lordon, whose book on "dirigeants" is probably still on sale at the Harvard bookstore:
"Once in by-gone days, Marquis Chao of Han was drunk and fell into a nap. The crown-keeper, seeing the ruler exposed to cold, put a coat over him. When the Marquis awoke, he was glad and asked the attendants, "Who put more clothes on my body?" "The crown-keeper did," they replied. Then the Marquis found the coat-keeper guilty and put the crown-keeper to death. He punished the coat-keeper for the neglect of his duty, and the crown-keeper for the overriding of his post. Not that the Marquis was not afraid of catching cold but that he thought their trespassing the assigned duties was worse than his catching cold."
Han Feizi, Chapter VII. The Two Handles (from the W. K. Liao translation available at <http://www2.iath.virginia.edu:8080/exist/cocoon/xwomen/texts/hanfei/d2.7/1/0/bilingual>)
All the best,
Sean Macdonald <smacdon2005 at gmail.com>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on April 6, 2016