MCLC: Leaving China confiscations (3)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Oct 29 09:34:49 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Leaving China confiscations (3)
Maybe not completely in line with the 'leaving China confiscation' examples, but still in the same spirit I think:
In July 2015 I wanted to ship a copy of my PhD 'What is Chinese in contemporary Chinese art?' (http://jeanneboden.com/art/) from Beijing to the Asia Art Archive in Hong Kong where I had been doing research on a regular basis. When I went to the post office they looked into the book (it was written in English) and purely because of the pictures of some art works in the book they refused to send it. Higher levels were called in to discuss. I tried to argue that it was published by a university and that it was a PhD thesis, but in no way I could convince them. It was too controversial to be sent according to the post office employees.
Kind regards,
Jeanne Boden <jeanne at jeanneboden.com>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on October 29, 2015