MCLC: New rules separate CCP discipline from the law (1)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 27 08:42:14 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
New rules separate CCP discipline from the law (1)
This article is about what Floria Sapio, the scholar of Chinese law and society, has been investigating in her fascinating work on "Shuanggui," the Party discipline separated from and above the law, as in “Shuanggui and Extralegal Detention in China,” China Information, vol. 22, n. 1 (2008), 7–37, and reprinted in The Citizen and the Chinese State (2011), edited by Perry Keller. As I suggested in my review (Journal of Asian Studies) of Sapio's big book on these issues, Sovereign Power and the Law in China (2010), this system makes the Party in the Chinese Party-State much like a theocratic Vatican, the Church both above and unto the State, which prosecutes its own (priests), in sequestration from any secular authority.
Magnus Fiskesjö <nf42 at cornell.edu>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on October 27, 2015