MCLC: Columbia East Asia Grad Conference--cfp

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 6 10:07:52 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Columbia East Asia Grad Conference–cfp
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS: COLUMBIA GRADUATE STUDENT CONFERENCE ON EAST ASIA
25th Annual Graduate Student Conference on East Asia
Columbia University in the City of New York
Friday February 26th to Saturday February 27th, 2016
Graduate students (and qualified undergraduates) are invited to submit abstracts for the 25th Annual Columbia Graduate Student Conference on East Asia. This two-day conference—the oldest of its kind in the nation—provides students from institutions around the world with the chance to meet and share research with their peers. In addition, participants will gain valuable experience presenting their work through discussion with fellow graduate students as well as Columbia faculty.
We welcome applications from students engaged in research on all fields in East Asian Studies, including but not limited to: history, literature, art history, religion, sociology, archaeology, law, environmental studies, media studies, anthropology, political science, and economics. We especially encourage work that crosses national, temporal, and disciplinary boundaries to critically rethink the categories that both bind and sub-divide area studies.
PARTICIPATION:
Participants can take part in the conference as presenters or discussants. Presenters deliver a talk no longer than 15 minutes that summarizes research in progress. Discussants introduce the panelists, offer feedback, and facilitate the 20-minute discussion session following the presentations. Please indicate on your application which role(s) you are applying for.
Presentations may take three possible forms: a standard academic research paper, a Powerpoint presentation accompanied by a talk, or a work of documentary filmmaking. A documentary work should be 15 minutes or less, but if a student wishes to showcase a longer film, an entire panel slot will be devoted to it.
Finally, this year’s committee encourages applications from pre-arranged panels of three to four presenters organized around a specific research topic, such as a region, discipline or theme. If you are applying as a pre-formed panel, please make sure to include a topic or tentative title for your panel on the application form. Preference will be given to such applications.
APPLICATIONS (due November 30th, 2015):
Please fill out the application on <http://ealac.columbia.edu/graduate/gradcon/> with the required information:
*PLEASE NOTE: We will not accept presenter applications without abstracts.
Successful applicants will be notified of acceptance early in January.
Final Papers (5-7 pages maximum) are due January 16th, 2016.
NOTE:
*Please indicate any audiovisual equipment you will need for your presentation. Please note that our A/V resources are quite limited, and we may not be able to satisfy everyone's needs. Presenters must bring their own laptops and VGA adapters for computer presentations.
*Since presentations will be limited to 15 minutes, full-length research papers or theses will not be accepted. Presentations in any other format will also be restricted to 15 minutes. (Unless a full-length work of documentary film is submitted, in which an exception can be made.)
*Applicants who have not submitted final papers or projects will not be permitted to participate in the conference.
HOUSING:
Housing will be available on a very limited basis, but we encourage everyone to arrange their own accommodations in advance. The conference runs from Friday afternoon to late Saturday evening. Travel and lodging information will be available soon on the conference website.
CONFERENCE ORGANIZERS:
Nolan Bensen
Idriss Fofana
Sau-yi Fong
Benjamin Kindler
Nhat-Phuong Ngo-Vu
CONTACT INFORMATION:
http://ealac.columbia.edu/graduate/gradcon/
columbiagradcon2016 at gmail.com
Graduate Student Conference on East Asia
Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures
407 Kent Hall, Mail Code 3907
Columbia University
New York, NY 10027
FAX: 212-678-8629