MCLC: Interview with Ai Weiwei

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri May 22 09:23:02 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Interview with Ai Weiwei
From: Magnus Fiskesjo <magnus.fiskesjo at cornell.edu>
Source: Der Spiegel (5/20/15)
Interview with Chinese Artist Ai Weiwei: ‘The State Is Scared’
Interview Conducted By Bernhard Zand
Chinese artist Ai Weiwei in Beijing: “The Internet has established a public sphere and developed a pressure which the government can no longer ignore.” DPA
In a SPIEGEL interview, Chinese artist Ai Weiwei, 57, discusses the continuing repression faced by civil rights activists in China, why he believes progressive change in the country is inevitable and shameful human rights violations in the United States.
SPIEGEL: Ai Weiwei, Amnesty International will present you with its “Ambassador of Conscience Award” this week in Berlin — another honor you will be unable to accept in person because your government still does not allow you to travel abroad. What would you do if your passport were returned to you?
Ai: I would check if all the data is correct and if the passport is valid (laughs). No, I would call my son, of course, who lives with his mother in Berlin and misses me. It is painful for a father to be so limited and far away from your son. He once remarked to his mother: “I’m sure, they will never give him his passport back. I had a dream about this!”SPIEGEL: Your son Ai Lao is six years old. (more…)
by denton.2 at osu.edu on May 22, 2015