MCLC: Canbooks

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed May 20 09:34:08 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Canbooks
MCLCers may be interested in learning more (and upvoting) this NGO project to bring Kindle libraries to schools in rural China.
Anne Henochowicz <anne at chinadigitaltimes.net>
http://award.aspenideas.org/a/dtd/One-Kindle-Hundred-Book-Library-for-Schools-in-Poor-Communities/119066-35325
One-Kindle-Hundred-Book Library for Schools in Poor Communities
Donate US$170 in China or about US$300 worldwide, you can help a primary school in poor communities to get one Kindle plus 100 paid e-books. A school needs such 10 sets to build a real offline E-Library, which could bring poor kids to new age. Names of donors will appear on the screensaver of the Kindle. Teacher of the school could use Internet to update and change the ebooks based on a selection maintained by top educators in that country. An App “OKHB” is built to manage the matching process between donors and the schools.
(Submitted by michaelanti 11 days ago)
I am submitting on behalf of: A project of my own personal design and execution
Affiliated organization name, if any: Canbooks.org
My idea relates to the following topic: Advancing the economic development of underserved communities
This is the specific situation my idea addresses: In this Internet age, there are still millions of kids have no Internet access. They need read but printed books are expensive so they can only read outdated books if they can find some. They deserve an offline and cheep solution for E-Library, so they can catch up the times.
The situation is: Both global and local
Here is my solution (how I propose to address the issue above): Canbooks is a Chinese NGO to arrange people to donate cheap Kindles to schools in very poor area in China. We can help them to 1) meet the global situation; 2) Additional donation is needed to solve the book copyright issues. Amazon should customize special cheep kindles to have 100 books subscription. If you buy one more, you should return one book. 3) A national selection committee will be set up to choose the recommended top 20 books for the kids monthly. 4) An app is build to manage all the process and also can give a global reading footprint in the big data way. 5) All donors not only have your names on the Kindle Screensaver, but also receive a weekly report to tell you how many kids have read how many books thanks to your donation.
My solution is: In development but not yet launched
My solution will have the following impacts on my local or global community: Without spending any money, the schools in the poor communities in the world could have an updated and decent E-library, with at least 10 kindles and 100 books. Kids there could read Zero to One, or The Little Prince, no matter how poor their families are.
If my idea wins, I would use the $25,000 prize to support my solution in the following way: 1) To negotiate with Amazon Company to build up customized cheep kindles. 2) To build up the App. 3) To set up book selection committees in China and in one of other country as a starting point.
by denton.2 at osu.edu on May 20, 2015