MCLC: Lost Geopoetic Horizon of Li Jieren

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon May 4 09:20:42 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Lost Geopoetic Horizon of Li Jieren
Dear members of the MCLC community,
I am pleased to announce the publication of my new book The Lost Geopoetic Horizon of Li Jieren: The Crisis of Writing Chengdu in Revolutionary China (BRILL).  I hope you will find this book of interest, or I may have your opinions in the future.
Best wishes,
Kenny Ng
http://www.brill.com/products/book/lost-geopoetic-horizon-li-jieren
https://ouhk.academia.edu/KennyNg
The Lost Geopoetic Horizon of Li Jieren: The Crisis of Writing Chengdu in Revolutionary China
By Kenny Kwok-kwan Ng
Engaged with the paradigms of cultural geography, local history, spatial politics, and everyday life, The Lost Geopoetic Horizon of Li Jieren unveils a Sichuan writer’s lifelong quest: an independent historical fiction writing project on Chengdu from the turn of the century through China’s 1911 Revolution. Kenny Kwok-kwan Ng’s study illuminates the crisis of writing home in a globalized age by rescuing Li Jieren’s repeatedly revised but never finished river-novel series written from Republican to Communist China, struggling to liberate local memory from the national cum revolutionary currents. The book undercuts official historiography and rewrites Chinese literary history from the ground up by highlighting Li’s resilient geopoetics of writing that decenters the nation by adopting the place-based view of a distant province.
Table of contents
Figures
Acknowledgments
1.) Introduction: The Man, The Place, The Novel
2.) From Tianhui to Chengdu: Geopoetics and Historical Imagination
3.) No Place for Good Memories: Chengdu 1911
4.) Tempest in a Teacup: Local Memorial Dynamics
5.) Love in the Time of Revolution
6.) The Road to Perdition
Conclusion: No Sense of an Ending
Appendix: Translations by Li Jieren