MCLC: Research on censorship of foreign tv shows?

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 25 09:53:35 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Research on censorship of foreign tv shows?
Dear MCLC,
I know the topic of film censorship and editing has been tackled but I wonder if there are researchers on the scripted television shows that are being distributed by private Chinese internet Portals. A few days ago I watched a US episode of Madame Secretary on the Youku platform. During a scene involving the main character who was going through a PTSD panic attack episode and the character of the Chinese ambassador there were a couple obvious cuts to the scene which were likely negative statements about China.
During the middle of sentences the cut were made. They did not cut the whole scene but the cut portion was obvious. Since the show was available several hours after it was aired in Nanjing I was wondering what the process was for this. If someone is studying and had move information on this kind of relationship with media on the imported television platform, I would be interested in it.
I would also be interested if content describing tracking techniques of the government more than popularity was related to the blackballing of the Good Wife TV show a year ago.
Thanks,
warm regards,
Simon Laing <slaing4 at gmail.com>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on March 25, 2015