MCLC: The coming Chinese crackup (10)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 23 09:50:31 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
The coming Chinese crackup (10)
May I untimely point out that, as a Chinese language tutor and student of Chinese literature, I simply can’t believe there was/is/would be a proverb of “waiying, neiruan” (外硬内软) in the language? Based on Dr. Shambaugh’s following sentences, I guess what he meant to say is “jinyuqiwai, baixuqizhong” (金玉其外,败絮其中)–the outside is good jade but the inside is only rotten materials, literally–which is a quite common, if not banal, moral-political rhetoric for the majority of the population in China, no matter how self-contradictory it may bring to the article.
Wish this may help.
Sun, Yi  <yiyucca at hotmail.com>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on March 23, 2015