MCLC: Wang Meng and Uyghur language?

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 4 09:46:02 EST 2015

MCLC LIST
Wang Meng and Uyghur language?
Dear All,
I am wondering how much writer Wang Meng knows about Uyghur language, which he seems to have learned during his forced exile in Xinjiang in the 1960-70s. Does anyone have a clear idea of whether Wang Meng can actually speak and read/write in Uyghur? Would love to ask the question to Uyghurs who had the chance to meet and talk with him (in Uyghur), but not sure our list includes any? Thank you very much in advance.
Best,
Vanessa Frangville <vanessafrangville at gmail.com>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on March 4, 2015