MCLC: Ohio statehouse ticket query?

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Tue Jun 2 08:40:04 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Ohio statehouse ticket query?
I was sent an intriguing query by a curator at the Ohio Statehouse Museum. They have in their collection a ticket (see below or click the title link above) to the opening of the state capitol building in 1857. Stamped on the ticket are two Chinese characters: 喴詢. The compound doesn't seem to make any particular sense (at least to me). But the name of the person signing the ticket is one "H. Wilson," so I thought that "weixun" might be his name in Chinese. But there is apparently another similar ticket signed by a different person that has the same stamp on it. So, does anyone have any idea what these Chinese characters might be doing on a ticket for the 1857 opening of the Ohio statehouse?
Thanks for your help, Kirk
by denton.2 at osu.edu on June 2, 2015