MCLC: Film references in Lu Xun essay?

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Jul 30 12:11:02 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Film references in Lu Xun essay?
Eileen Cheng and I are working on a volume of translations of Lu Xun's essays (to be published by Harvard UP), and we need some help with some film references in "The Glory of the Future" (未来的光荣). In the essay, Lu Xun makes reference to three (Hollywood) films: 猿人泰山, 兽林怪人, and 斐洲探险. We've identified the first as Tarzan of the Apes, but we have not been able to identify the other two. Any thoughts? The essay was published in January 1934, so the films would have to be prior to that, obviously.
Thanks for your help,
Kirk

by denton.2 at osu.edu on July 30, 2015