MCLC: Yu Qiuyu debut novel (1)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Jan 29 10:25:17 EST 2015

MCLC LIST
Yu Qiuyu debut novel (1)
Here’s more on Yu Qiuyu and his debut novel–KD.
Source: Global Times (1/14/15)
Breaking the ice
By Lu Qianwen
Controversial writer Yu Qiuyu defends himself from rumors and critics
Yu Qiuyu’s new book Ice River Photo: Courtesy of Xiron
Considering the rumors that famed Huangmei Opera singer Ma Lan disappeared from the stage due to demands from her husband Yu Qiuyu, it comes as no surprise that after publishing a novel centered on a love story, that Yu would inevitably be swarmed with a ton of questions. Engulfed in a storm of controversies such as those about the cultural and historical mistakes found in his works, as well as his relationship with his much-younger wife, Yu hasn’t had an easy time over the years since hitting his peak during the 1990s.
Maintaining a low-profile since these controversies began, Yu broke his silence at the beginning of this year at a press conference for his new book, Ice River, his first attempt at a novel that came out at the beginning of this month. Set in ancient China, the novel centers on a young woman named Meng He and tells the story of how she broke the shackles of gender at that time to pursue her life and love.
Although he denied that the book is a reflection of him and his wife, in the preface to the book Yu admits that the story is “a result of their tragic persistence in the face of adversity.” Careful readers will notice that there is also a single photo of the couple in the book. Whether he wanted it or not, Yu’s Ice River is already being taken as a symbolic answer to the controversies surrounding the couple over the past several years.
Rise and fall
Rising to fame with his personal essays during the late 1990s, Yu earned the title as China’s No.1 modern essayist at the time. His essays such as A Bitter Journey of Culture, Discovering China, and A Sigh of the Millennium were favorites among many readers including students in middle and high schools for his poetic language that he combined with his own personal interpretation of the different civilizations in the world.
Increasing right alongside his popularity was the number of his appearances at various lectures, on talent show programs, as well as controversies surrounding his writings and marriage. Some cultural scholars – especially in Shanghai, where Yu lived – published articles or even full books to point out the many cultural and historical mistakes that existed in Yu’s work and lectures, while at the same time the media followed up on rumors in order to dig up dirt on his relationship with his wife.
All these disputes even finally came to question the proser’s integrity as a writer, since Yu’s introduction of himself in his several writings didn’t consist with his history. The intensity and severity of those criticism on Yu then, is quite similar to the current topic comedy figure Zhao Benshan, forcing the former to fade out from the public’s sight for a while.
A response to criticism
Readers aware of this complicated background will easily sense Yu’s anger and response to the controversies around him in his new book. At the conference, Yu made no attempt to deny the connection. “When I wrote the chapter in which Jin He (the lead male character who falls in love with Meng He) tries to break away the thick ice on the river to save those trapped by it, I kept thinking about what happened during the 2008 Wenchuan Earthquake. Chinese scholars have long had a tradition of being spectators, they suddenly disappear whenever they are needed,” said Yu, referring to how he was one of the first scholars to stand up and state he would donate to earthquake victims, while many other scholars stayed quiet.
However this also became a big controversy for Yu later when he was criticized for not sticking to his promise to donate 200,000 yuan ($32,000) to earthquake victims. Later reports indicated that Yu actually did keep his promise, by donating 200,000 yuan worth of books.
As for people’s questions about him and his wife, Yu addresses this directly in the preface to his book. “The publication of Ice River is also a kind of vindication for me. Rumors spread that I was the one who forced Ma Lan to quit her career, but people forget that I used to be a drama professor. Why would I ever persuade her to quit?”
Looking at life from the sidelines
This is not the first time Yu has mentioned his wife in a book and so many readers speculate that his new book was also inspired by her. Using a female perspective is actually a typical tactic in many of Yu’s works. Emperor’s Female Son-in-law, The Swing, and many stage plays that Yu has written all focus on women’s lives in ancient China. Some critics refer to his style as using a “marginal perspective.”
“Perspectives from women, children, or even non-human beings, like in the story Legend of White Snake, are all marginal perspectives that are very helpful for looking back at our history as a whole,” said Yu. “What we are usually taught is mainstream culture from official histories, but there is more to our culture than this,” Yu told the Global Times.
With her perfect temperament, Yu said Meng He is his favorite character. “Traces of this kind of women in ancient China can be found in many works. They are symbols of beauty, wisdom and responsibility,” said Yu. “I believe all us today have their DNA in our bodies.”
Yu’s new book contains many of his ideals about relationships between couples, families (one main story line in the book consists of Meng’s search for her father) and even the whole of society.
“The mutual support between Meng He and her lover in the story during times of difficulty  is to a degree a reflection of Yu and his wife in real life,” said Shen Yeying, Ice River‘s editor.
While many writers and artists may feel their lives are too sensitive a topic to directly link into their writing, for the most part every written work reflects a writer’s ideals.
Yu’s Ice River is no different. Controversies surrounding his life aside, the book is an enjoyable and well written work that reflects the author’s ideals about human relationships.
by denton.2 at osu.edu on January 29, 2015