MCLC: Bringing Wolf Totem to screen (1)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 25 08:38:26 EST 2015

MCLC LIST
Bringing Wolf Totem to screen (1)
Dear colleagues,
Jo Lusby is cited in the article as saying:
“’There has without question been no one single novel in China with as great of an impact before or since Wolf Totem,’ said Jo Lusby, managing director of Penguin China, which published the book in English.”
Having just completed a book manuscript on the historical context within which Ba Jin’s “Turbulent Stream” trilogy (Family, Spring, Autumn) was shaped, I would be interested in reactions to this statement by Jo Lusby.  Has Wolf Totem‘s impact been greater than that of Family? How would one begin to evaluate the extent of their respective impacts? Quantitative metrics preferred!!! (please read exclamation marks as international indicator of wryness in the face of the marketing side of the academic life.)  I think the Lusby claim would be hard to sustain in regard to the great Ming and Qing novels, but maybe they don’t count as novels, as Family ought to…..  And maybe “China” means the PRC?
Opinions?
Kristin Stapleton <kstaple at buffalo.edu>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on February 25, 2015