MCLC: Yiguandao film (1,2)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 19 10:14:39 EST 2015

MCLC LIST
Yiguandao film (1,2)
The Modern China Collection of UC Berkeley’s East Asian Library holds a copy. I borrowed and saw this early 1952 anti-Yiguandao propaganda production back in the fall of 2006. The image quality was very good. I don’t know if you can get it through inter-library loan.
Xun Liu <xmgnyz at gmail.com>, Rutgers University
————————–
For those interested, the film is available on Youtube at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg9GFrOscyg
I’d never heard of this film before, so I took a look. I was intrigued by the opening scene. The film begins with shots of people entering an exhibit called Evidence of the Crimes of Yiguandao (一貫道罪證展覽). We follow the crowds past displays of artifacts to a hall in which a live performance of “spirit writing” is taking place. After a few minutes, the spirit writer then steps out of her role and addresses the audience directly to tell the story of how she got “fooled” into joining Yiguandao. The rest of the film is in a more conventional feature film style. What I find interesting is how the film enters the “fictional” story through the frame of this real museum exhibit (apparently an exhibit held in Beijing in 1951).
Kirk
by denton.2 at osu.edu on February 19, 2015