MCLC: Chinese awareness of environmental issues (4)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Aug 29 07:56:51 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Chinese awareness of environmental issues (4)
What immediately comes to mind is a poem by Ma Fei 馬非. I am not sure if I haven't presented it here on this list before. It is from early this year, or maybe last year. Here it is in English and German. Maybe I should have just used "smog" instead of "haze". Fog and smog. But haze rhymes with phrase. You can find the original on my blog, along with a version in Tibetan:
http://banianerguotoukeyihe.com/2015/04/21/for-teacher-zhang-%E9%A9%AC%E9%9D%9E/
And I have also just translated a poem by Hung Hung 鴻鴻, written this month at Qinghai Lake International Poetry Festival. "translate the time of one cigarette into smog over 9,6 million square kilometres" ...
http://banianerguotoukeyihe.com/2015/08/28/translation-software-%E9%B4%BB%E9%B4%BB/
Cheers,
Martin Winter <dujuan99 at gmail.com>
Ma Fei
A CONSOLATION FOR THE LATE MR. ZHANG, MY FORMER TEACHER
In junior high,
there was a character,
I wrote it wrong
again and again,
every time
we had a dictation.
Now I can write it,
I’ll write it for you:
“rain” on the top,
“worms” down at the left,
like in “insects and worms”.
“Inside” at the right,
like “outside and inside”.
I can write it correctly
and make a phrase:
“fog-like haze”.
I can make sentences with “haze”,
many sentences.
Tr. MW, April 2015
Ma Fei
FÜR HERRN LEHRER ZHANG IM HIMMEL ZUM TROST
in der mittelschule
gab es ein zeichen,
das schrieb ich immer falsch.
immer wieder,