MCLC: Novelistic treatments of the Great Leap Forward (13)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Sat Aug 22 07:22:57 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Novelistic treatments of the Great Leap Forward (13)
A question on a point of detail, about the film 1942 vs. the novel 1942:
In the film, there is a curious scene with Chiang. As he finally comes to realise the horrific extent of the dying that has been going on, he withdraws alone to a bench in a church. His aides keep a distance, and the scene lingers on, in silence without commentary or other clues, for what seems like a long time. I have kept wondering what the intent of including that scene could have been -- and now, after your message, I wonder whether it is in the novel and if any explanation is given there. (ps. to me, Mao does not seem to have been capable of such reflection-repentance --if that is what Chiang was doing-- over his own actions,  so there is a difference, potentially. ).
Magnus Fiskesjö <nf42 at cornell.edu>
by denton.2 at osu.edu on August 22, 2015