MCLC: Who are the Uyghurs

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 24 10:20:14 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Who are the Uyghurs
Source: Chronache Internazionali.com (4/23/15)
Who Are The Uyghurs? Interview with Prof. Thum
By Elio Caia
Prof. Rian Thum is Assistant Professor at Loyola University, New Orleans. His research background focuses on Inner Asian and Altaic Studies, with a focus on Uyghur people, the ethnic minority that live in the Chinese Autonomous Region of Xinjiang. After reading his latest book, The Sacred Route to Uyghur History, published by Harvard University Press (2014), we had the chance to interview Prof. Thum, in order to better understand who Uighur people are and what is their history.
Q: Prof. Thum, first of all thank you very much for accepting our interview.  In the last ten years the interest in the area of Chinese Studies raised dramatically, also outside the scholars’ circles. Everybody who has a basic knowledge of China is aware of the fact that many different ethnicities live inside the country. But, with the exceptions of Tibetans, we do not know much about them. How much interest there is in Uyghurs? And to what degree research is developing on this issue?