MCLC: Maya Angelou quote (1)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Apr 9 09:37:30 EDT 2015

MCLC LIST
Maya Angelou quote (1)
Should I assume from the lack of response to my query (in case you missed it, see below) that this Maya Angelou quote has no connection to any Chinese proverb?
Kirk
I have been asked by someone to look into whether a famous Maya Angelou quote–“A bird doesn’t sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song”–was originally a Chinese proverb. Would anyone know if this phrase, or something close to it, is a Chinese proverb? Please send me your responses off-list. Thanks.
by denton.2 at osu.edu on April 9, 2015