MCLC: Zhang Wei's Factory Boss (1)

MCLC LIST denton.2 at osu.edu
Thu Sep 25 11:26:15 EDT 2014

MCLC LIST
Zhang Wei’s Factory Boss (1)
FACTORY BOSS is in fact quite an unusual film from China. What’s particularly interesting is its ideological orientation, and its willingness to entertain a certain amount of complexity in its analysis of the predicament of the factory boss in Shenzhen, balancing interests of workers, government, his own capital, management, etc. It also incorporates a surprisingly pointed implicit critique of the government’s role in these crises (though not at the level of what Huang Jianxin used to offer, in the 90s).
Although the film itself is a little rough, it’s a fascinating document of the economic pressures besetting a segment of Chinese society, all told from the point of view of the boss. Given how attentive Xi Jinping has been recently to the interests of Hong Kong’s biggest capitalist bosses, I’m not surprised that we’re getting mainstream Chinese films from the point of view of captains of industry. Investor-as-hero films next?
— Shelly Kraicer (shellyk at me.com)
by denton.2 at osu.edu on September 25, 2014